22 November 2018
The Pretoria Attorneys Association (PAA) bestowed a Life Service Award upon Dr Llewelyn Curlewis on the occasion of the PAA’s Annual General Meeting which was held on 18 October 2018.
Dr Llewelyn Curlewis is a long-time member of the Pretoria Attorneys Association and served as its chairperson for 5 years. Dr Curlewis also served as Deputy Chairperson for 4 years and as a member of the Executive Committee of the PAA from 1997 to 2013.
Dr Llewelyn Gray Curlewis BLC LLB LLM (cum laude) (Unisa) LLD (UP) is an esteemed member of the legal profession and serves on many committees and legal councils both as member and chair. Previous and current leadership positions include, amongst many others:
- Councillor of the Gauteng Law Council (“GLC”) from 2010 until 2015.
- Vice Chairperson of the Gauteng Law Council (GLC”) for 2 years.
- Chairperson of the Gauteng Law Council (GLC”) in 2013.
- Councillor of the Law Society of the Northern Provinces from 2008 until 2015.
- President of the Law Society of the Northern Provinces in
- Councillor of the Law Society of South Africa (LSSA) from 2012 until 2016.
- Member of the SADC Lawyers Association and the IBA (International Bar Association).
- Presided as an acting Judge for the High Court of South Africa, North and South Gauteng Divisions during June 2014.
- Serves on numerous executive committees for sport federations, including SAMPA, Gauteng North and chaired many disciplinary tribunals over the years.
Dr Curlewis is also extra-ordinary lecturer at the University of Pretoria (including post graduate lecturer) since 2006, external examiner for various subjects since 2006, lecturer at the Law School of the University of Pretoria since 1995 and lecturer for the Annual South African Institute for Valuers (SAIV). He was awarded Life Honorary Membership of the SAIV in 2016.
He is the author of numerous articles in various law publications, newspapers and magazines and attended to many high profile court cases, published in numerous local and international media platforms, including radio and television programs.
Llewelyn Curlewis was admitted as an Attorney in the High Court of South Africa with the Right of Appearance in 1997, Admitted as an Advocate in the High Court of South Africa in 1997 and in 2008 was admitted as a Notary Public.
Said Dr Curlewis on receiving the award:
“Upon entering the profession and after joining the PAA so many years ago the importance of serving the interest of our members immediately dawned upon me. It revealed a mind-set indomitably dedicated to a long-term vision for an unbiased, just and better South Africa”.
“Inevitably, this passion challenges me to work even harder for the better of our members. I challenge you to use this well-established structure to continue what I consider a small contribution by myself and others before me. With the new LPA, you will be operating in an environment of some adversity. To merely survive in such circumstances and to carry on making progress towards achieving your goals will require dedication and special skills”.
“I will strive to combine an inherent humility and an unobtrusive demeanour with persistent, yet with patient perseverance in the face of new challenges. I consider the award a pinnacle of my career on par with any array of major local and international achievements”.